I first made this long time ago, over time I modified the recipe according to my mood and needs. For example this modification was done for my daughter’s birthday at the daycare. Her daycare is rather hipster, so no sugar is allowed which I happily obliged. The coconut frosting was surprisingly pleasant to taste and it complemented the carrot taste really well.
– 1 cup all purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 cup honey
-1/2 cup apple sauce
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 2 medium eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 cups shredded carrots
For the coconut frosting
– 1 can (400gr) coconut milk, leave in the fridge overnight.
– Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius. Grease and flour 24cm round baking pan.
– Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and add honey, apple sauce, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in carrots.
– Pour into greased pan. Bake at 175 degrees celcius for about 45 minutes. Allow to cool.
– To make the coconut frosting: separate the thicken cream on the top from the coconut water underneath (you can use the water for cooking). Beat coconut cream until smooth and fluffy. Use immediately. Coconut frosting can’t be stored too long otherwise it will melt again.